Javascript Menu by
City of Easton

Health - FAQs

What do I have to do to open a Food/Eating and Drinking Establishment?

Thank you for your inquiry to operate a Food/Eating and Drinking Establishment in the City of Easton. Enclosed you will find an application for a Food Service Facility Plan Review to be filled out and brought back to me. To process your paperwork any further you must first obtain your zoning approval from the Zoning Office located on the 3rd floor of City Hall or by calling them at 610-250-6724. Once you have been approved please complete the following information to proceed with your application process of your facility.

  • You will need proof that you registered your "trade name" with
    Pennsylvania Department of State, Harrisburg, PA.

    There are two (2) ways to do this:
    1. Register online at
    2. Register online at

  • You will need a Pennsylvania Revenue Sales Tax ID #, which can also be obtained by using
  • You will need to have a City of Easton Business License, which can be obtained by stopping by City Hall on the 2nd floor to see Mr. Michael Joseph (610-250-6755)
  • As part of the State of Pennsylvania's requirements for compliance with the PA Food Employee Certification, please notice the enclosed letter regarding this requirement.
  • Please see the enclosed "Consumer Advisory" for important menu requirements

Once the above has been completed you will be eligible to make application for your City of Easton Health License. During this time frame a series of preliminary inspections can and will be conducted.

If you have any questions or need clarification on any of the above mentioned,
please feel free to contact the Health Bureau at 610-250-6608.

Consumer Advisory

The consumer advisory is intended to apply to all food establishments where ready to eat (RTE) raw or undercooked animal foods and seafood or RTE containing raw or undercooked animal foods or seafood is sold or served to the public.

The language for the consumer advisory is to be in the same language as the menu. For example, if the menu is written in English, the consumer advisory would have to be in English. If the menu is written in French only, then the consumer advisory would have to be in French. If the menu is in dual languages, then the consumer advisory should be in dual languages.

Text size:
Text size for the hand held menus or table menus should be equivalent to 11 points (this is an example of 11-point type).

How to comply with consumer advisory:

Disclosure: Disclosed what items may be undercooked.

a. What items are affected?

i. Using leading statements (raw, rare, "cooked to order" or
ii. Asterisk (*) the foods in question (New York Strip Steak)
*"Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish or eggs may increase your risk of food borne illness."

Where can employees get the training and certifications needed for food establishments?

Food Employee Certification Training Agencies

Download Information HERE

About Us | FAQs | Forms & Documents | Board of Health | Links | Contact Us